Welcome to Napier Prison Historic Tour
Hear stories of villains, victims and heroes while wandering through the dark corridors of NZ's oldest prison!
This fascinating tour of New Zealand's oldest Prison will take you on an historic journey through the undulating corridors which survived the 1931 Napier Earthquake.
Check out the graffiti on the prisoner's bed bases and learn of the multiple uses incarcerated criminals had for toothpaste. This tour shows how they lived behind the huge Kauri doors and how some of them died. You will hear tales about villains, victims and heroes.
- the Pound (Solitary and Padded cell area),
- The Dome
Finally closing in 1993, the prison complex has been the site of many television shows such as Redemption Hill, "Off the Rails", "Epitaph" and several news programs and documentaries. Your Tour. Your Way.
- 1. Solitary confinement and a padded cell with prisoner memorabilia including prison-made weapons
- 2. The small graveyard where those hanged were buried standing up so their souls would not rest.
- 3. View the Hanging Yard where inmates were hanged by famous executioner Tom Long before being buried standing up so their soul did not rest.
- 4. Visit the dark and grim Women's Wing where, in the 1960's, women and children were housed.